Other University Resources

Modified from a handout given to students at the Campus Climate Town Hall with President Knapp and Provost Maltzman on Tuesday, November 29, 2016.

CARE Network

The college experience can sometimes be challenging, and asking for help can be difficult. The CARE Network reaches out to offer support so that students can be as successful as possible.

Students, parents, faculty, and staff can identify students that may need additional support and, based on the type of support needed, a student is connected to a trained staff member who works with them one-on-one for as long as they may need the help.

File a CARE Report.

Mental Health Services – Colonial Health Center

Mental health professionals are always available to speak to GW students and consult with faculty, staff, or parents about any mental health-related concerns. Mental Health Services (MHS) at the Colonial Health Center is available by phone 24 hours a day, seven days a week at 202-994-5300, and their website includes self-help resources as well.

Multicultural Student Services Center (MSSC)

The Multicultural Student Services Center (MSSC) enhances the GW experience by preparing students for success in an increasingly diverse and global society, leading student diversity initiatives to create a safe space where all students are welcome to explore, embrace, and share their diverse identities and experiences.

MSSC offers:
• Training on unconscious bias, bridge building, and LGBTQIA+ diversity and inclusion;
• The GW LGBT Resource Center, supporting sexual and gender diversity and providing comprehensive educational, support, and advocacy services;
• The Religious and Faith community, representing a variety of backgrounds and experiences with a goal of religious celebration and interfaith sharing.

International Services Office

The International Services Office facilitates international education exchange and serves as the primary administrative, programming, and advising office for the GW international community.

Disability Support Services (DSS)

Disability Support Services (DSS) works collaboratively with students, faculty, and staff across campus to foster a climate of academic excellence and promoting disability culture, creating an inclusive environment that provides equal access for all students. That access is often facilitated through implementation of formal disability accommodations. 

GW Police Department (GWPD)

The George Washington University Police Department (GWPD) provides a wide array of services for victims of crimes through the Office of Victims’ Services.

Students should contact GWPD directly to file an incident report at 202-994-6111.

GW Haven, Title IX Office

GW Haven, through the Title IX Office under the Vice Provost of Diversity, Equity, and Community Engagement, offers resources for students related to sexual harassment, sexual assault, dating, or domestic violence and stalking: http://haven.gwu.edu.

Code of Student Conduct

The GW Code of Student Conduct sets standards for non-academic student conduct both on and off campus.

Student Grievance Procedures

Students who feel they have been discriminated on the basis of a protected class (race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression) in any of the policies, procedures, programs, or activities of or by any individual employed by or acting in an official capacity for the George Washington University should consult the Student Grievance Procedures.

Contact the Division of Student Affairs at students@gwu.edu for assistance.

There are also a number of university administrators who are here as resources for students:

Peter Konwerski, Vice Provost and Dean of Student Affairs

The Division of Student Affairs supports supports the mission of the George Washington University by enhancing the student experience through programs and services that focus on: student learning and success; student and family engagement; and wellness, education, and prevention.

Phone: 202-994-6710

Caroline Laguerre-Brown, Vice Provost of Diversity, Equity, and Community Engagement

The vice provost for diversity and inclusion works with senior leadership, administrators, faculty, staff, and students to advance the university’s commitment to building a more diverse and inclusive community.

Phone: 202-994-7434